Childhood Obesity and its Influence on Sleep Disorders: Kids-Play Study.

Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Background: Sleep disorders are associated with overweight and obese children, and could decrease life quality with limitations to normal daily activities. The purpose of the study is to describe the prevalence of sleep disorders in a cohort of overweight/obese children using respiratory polygraphy. Methods: A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted in Granada (Spain) on a sample of 98 children with overweight or obesity. The presence of sleep disorders was determined by respiratory polygraphy. Results: Regarding apnoea-hypopnea-index (AHI) results, 44% of affected children had severe sleep apnoea-hypopnea syndrome (SAHS), and the remaining 56% had a mild form of the disorder. With respect to oxygen-desaturation index, 56% of the same group had severe SAHS, 32% had mild SAHS, and the remaining 12% did not suffer from SAHS. Among participants, average scores of 13.8 obstructive apnoea, 7.7 central apnoea, and 13.6 hypopnoea were recorded. Conclusions: Respiratory polygraphy can provide conclusive results in the diagnosis of SAHS in overweight/obese children. Interventional programmes designed and implemented to reduce overweight and obesity can improve quality of sleep and life in children.
DeCS Terms
CIE Terms
apnoea–hypopnea index, childhood obesity, respiratory polygraphy, sleep apnoea